AccuPel DVG-5000 3D Video Test Pattern Generator
- AccuPel Deluxe: Adds support for 3D test patterns and includes a custom carrying case with USB cable.
- AccuPel Professional: Adds motion test patterns for professional users.
The AccuPel DVG-5000 is shipping now.
See the Support tab below to download a new firmware update. The latest firmware (02-13-2013) includes a new feature. The size of grayscale and color windows are now user definable in 2.5% increments from 5% through 20%. The legacy 10.8% window size is retained.
You can now view online videos that show the range and flexibility of the AccuPel video test pattern generator.
75% Color Group
100% Color Group
Grayscale Field Group
High Grayscale Group
Low Grayscale Group
Costum Menu Commands
Motion Patterns (AccuPel Professional only)
- Digital-only output
- HDMI native output
- Full YCbCr support
- Test patterns in all major 3D modes
- Motion test patterns to test video processing
- Deep Color and native 10-bit color
- Full compliment of motion test patterns
- Window and full field test patterns at 75% and 100%
- New precision black level test pattern
AccuPel Version Matrix
|Easy USB Connection||
|Test Pattern Labels||
|User-defined Patterns in Percent Values||
|User-defined Patterns in Code Values||
|3D Test Patterns||
|Full YCbCr Functionality||
|75% Field Test Patterns||
|100% Window Test Patterns||
|Precision Black Pluge||
|Native 25/50 Hz Support||
|Selectable Color Isolation for all Gray Patterns||
|Selectable native 10-bit and 8-bit Digital Video||
|InfoFrame Parameter Selection||
|Credit Card Orders Accepted||
|Custom Carrying Case||
|Motion Test Patterns||
|Variable surround level for windows||
|Variable window test pattern size||
Full service and support will be offered for the DVG-5000 only. Support for the HDG-3000 and HDG-400 is no longer be available.
You can download the USB driver for both the HDG-4000 and DVG-5000.
If you have a support question, just fill out the form on our Support page.
Firmware Updates Release History
The DVG-5000 can be updated in the field when new test patterns become available or if you want to upgrade the AccuPel to support 3D and/or motion patterns. Just download one one of the zipped archives below for the latest firmware. The zip file contains the update program, update instructions, and the newest firmware files (*.dvg and *.bin).
Firmware updates are cumulative. You only need the latest one.
02-13-2013 Firmware Update 3
Adds support for user-defined windows in 2.5% increments.
5%, 7.5%, 10%, 10.8% (legacy), 12.5%, 15%, 17.5%, and 20%
Also adds support for user-defined checkerboard patterns
2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, 6x6, 7x7, 8x8, 9x9
Note: To take advantage of these new features using the Desktop Application, you must download the latest version. See below.
09-01-2012: Firmware Update 2
Adds support for user-defined surrounds in gray window patterns and for applying a single color (RGBCYM) to any of the gray patterns.
04-29-2012: Firmware Update 1
Allows the user to display 8-bit (1-254) and 10-bit (4-1019) user-defined colors via the USB interface using discrete code values. You may continue to send 8-bit user-defined colors with the remote control and onscreen menu using percentage commands (0%-109%). Also adds two new test patterns, a color clipping pattern and a new version of the precision pluge that uses eleven 2-step bars (6-26)
The Desktop Application is a standalone platform that allows easy control of the DVG-5000.
You can access all DVG-5000 standard output and format settings, all built-in test patterns, and custom colors using this application. Entering 10-bit input values allows you to define custom colors and grayscale patterns with great precision (10-bit video allows for 4-1019, rather than 8-bit video's 1-254 maximum range) and display them using 10-bit 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 YCbCr and RGB Deep Color output modes.
Update: A new version of the DVG-5000 Desktop Application has been posted. It includes the following:
- Support of user-defined color/grayscale windows and checkerboards.
- Pattern history lists can be saved & opened as files.
- Previous history list is automatically restored when re-opening the DVG-5000 Desktop.
- Direct entry of 8-bit custom color and grayscale values in addition to direct entry of 10-bit custom values.
- Delete All button added for History list.
3D Test Patterns
The AccuPel 3D update provides 3D performance for ALL of the AccuPel test patterns with a selection of 33 3D Formats. Each 3D format is a combination of a 3D structure and an existing video resolution. The DVG-5000 supports all of the structures that are in actual use for distributing 3D content. This includes:
|Frame Packing (8 Formats)||Side-by-Side (14 Formats)||Top-and-Bottom (11 Formats)|
The generator is very smart and will not allow the user to get into an invalid combination of video resolutions and 3D structures. The front panel Format button will skip all invalid 3D formats, and invalid 3D formats will be ignored if attempted to enter from the remote control. There is no way to enter an invalid format over the USB either. When entering the 3D mode the generator will automatically change to a valid format if necessary. There are no Standard Definition 3D formats implemented, so the user must leave the 3D mode to return to a standard definition format.
ALL previous DVG-5000 test patterns work in ALL 33 3D formats and produce patterns that simply look like their 2D versions. They do not appear in 3D (i.e. they have no depth). It is not the purpose of the generator to produce wild 3D demonstration patterns to entertain the user. The patterns can be used for all of the same purposes they are used on 2D displays (i.e. setting grayscale, color encoding, CMS adjustments, black level, white level, checking overscan, measuring ANSI contrast, measuring full-field contrast, checking scaling, checking convergence on 3 panel projectors, checking resolution, adjusting sharpness and detail enhancement, etc.), but with 3D signals placing the display in its 3D Display Modes instead of displaying 2D signals in its very different 2D Display mode.
It is obvious immediately that a display that is calibrated and looks perfect using 2D signals may look VERY different with 3D signals and need separate calibration in the 3D signal modes. In addition the 3D modes may show bugs, and implementation errors that are not present using 2D signals. In particular the patterns with fine lines (16:9 pattern, overscan pattern, sharpness pattern, crosshatch pattern) can be used to spot various problems and bugs in the displays 3D implementation.
Although the patterns appear to be the same in the 2D and 3D signal output modes there are some changes due to the half vertical resolution of the Top-Bottom signal structure and the half horizontal resolution of the Side-by-Side (Half) signal structure. For instance, the multiburst pattern highest resolution burst is half its 2D version resolution in the 3D Side-by-Side mode because that structure only supports half the horizontal resolution of the 2D display mode.
CROSSTALK TEST PATTERN
In addition to the 33 3D formats, there is also an entirely new, interactive test pattern and menu system in the 3D Mode menu for testing 3D Crosstalk from the left eye to the right eye (and visa-versa). Crosstalk is one of the most important determinants of 3D image quality.
The 3D option is a free upgrade for the DVG-5000 Deluxe and a $100 option for the DVG-5000 Standard.
3D units are shipping now.
The Deluxe option includes a custom foam carrying case, USB cable, and 3D support.
The Professional AccuPel option adds motion test patterns. This version is designed for those who engineer and test video displays, as well as professional calibrators and reviewers.
Motion Test Patterns
|Motion Group||Motion Pattern||Variations||# of Patterns|
|Circular Zone Plates||71% Nyquist Zone Plate||Tiny, Small, Medium, or Large||12|
|Nyquist (Zone Plate)|
|ZP (Zone Plate) Field|
|Hyperbolic Zone Plates||Zone Plate 1||5|
|Zone Plate 2|
|Zone Plate 3|
|Zone Plate 4|
|Zone Plate 5|
|Resolution Wedges||V Res 1||Left, Right||15|
|V Res 2|
|V Res 3|
|H Res 1 Top||Top, Bottom|
|H Res 2 Top|
|H Res 3 Top|
|HV Res 1|
|HV Res 2|
|HV Res 3|
|Linear Frequency Sweeps||H1||Rectangle, Field||16|
|Detail Discs||H Slice||1, 2, 4, 8||16|
|Cosine Balls||Ball 91|
|Upgrade from Deluxe to Professional||
Previous AccuPel owners may trade-in their units for a new DVG-5000. HGD-3000 owners will get a $200 credit and HDG-4000 owners will get a $300 credit.
Contact us for details.
We are pleased to offer the new AccuPel DVG-5000 Video Test Pattern Generator. The DVG-5000 is the latest in a line of highly-regarded video test pattern generators designed by renowned video engineer Greg Rogers. We are now the exclusive distributors of AccuPel devices.
The digital-only DVD-5000 offers several enhancements over earlier AccuPel devices, including new test patterns and native HDMI output all at a lower price.
Until the DVG-5000, AccuPels have always used DVI for digital signal output. Although the units fully supported digital YCbCr output, displays would generally default to RGB, rendering the YCbCr signal unusable. With an HDMI emitter chip that communicates to the display the type of signal being transmitted, full YCbCr functionality is now fully achieved.
Why use a test pattern generator?
There are two reasons to use a high-quality test pattern generator.
- The first reason is accuracy. Thousands of hours of engineering effort has gone into creating the AccuPel line of generators all for the purpose of creating test patterns of the highest possible quality. All professional calibrators should use an external video test pattern generator, such as the AccuPel.
- The second reason is speed. Each AccuPel ships with a remote control that allows very rapid access to any test pattern. More importantly, the AccuPel interfaces a PC and video calibration software, such as ChromaPure, via USB. This allows the software to control the AccuPel automatically. This means that whenever the user takes a measurement from the software, the AccuPel first provides the necessary test pattern without further user invention. If you have not used automation with your calibration sessions, you cannot imagine how much faster the process flows and how much easier the calibration procedures become.
Why choose AccuPel?
There are three reasons to prefer an AccuPel.
- The first reason is quality. The quality of the engineering that has gone into the AccuPel line of video test pattern generators is unsurpassed.
- The second reason is ease-of-use. The DVG-5000 is remarkably light-weight and small. Also, each generator ships with its own remote control. This is a feature that test pattern generators that cost thousands of dollars more do not provide. The DVG-5000 is also backwards compatible, including 3D, for any software that supported the HDG-3000/4000. You will only lose the test patterns that are new for the DVG-5000, and even these will be accessible from the remote control.
- The third reason is cost. AccuPel's have always been a labor of love by a few dedicated and hugely talented individuals. Given the low overhead, it has always been priced at a level lower than other similar products on the market. The DVG-5000 will continue and enhance that tradition with an MSRP even lower than previous models.
- The DVG-5000 offers full support for all major 3D formats. The full selection of test patterns available in the standard mode are also available in the 3D mode. In addition to 3D test patterns, the DVG-5000 also provides a special interactive 3D crosstalk test pattern.